5.02.2007

David Lean + Cinerama + A bag o' Whoppers = A great evening

Peter O'Toole and Omar Sharif in "Lawrence of Arabia," one of the greatest films of all time.

So, last night I had the great pleasure of experiencing David Lean's epic masterpiece, "Lawrence of Arabia," at the Cinerama. The Cinerama, one of the finest theaters to ever grace this good planet, was awesome enough to host several screening of the 70MM "Lawrence," an essential film-going experience for any cinephile.

It was perfect in every way. Packed house, everyone psyched, chatting excitedly. I was as happy as can be. Behind me, a couple discussed similar epics like "Ben Hur," "Spartacus," "Dr. Zhivago" and "The Bridge on the River Kwai." I sat there, beaming, a large bag of Whoppers in my hand as I waited for "Lawrence" to begin.

At 7:26, the Cinerama's top-notch sound system began the sweeping orchestral overture, signaling all to take their seats and quiet down. And then, the curtains pulled away, revealing the 90ft screen within. The massive screen stretched across my vision, almost too huge to comprehend.

"Lawrence of Arabia" began and nearly four hours later, I exited the theater as happy as I've been in some time.

If you ever get the chance to see the 70MM print of "Lawrence," you should jump at the opporunity with all your fervent desire. It's an experience not to be missed, and I can only hope I someday get a second chance to witness it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are strictly moderated by this blog's administrator. Obscene, hateful, or otherwise offensive comments will not be tolerated. Racist, sexist, or homophobic remarks have no place on this blog. Spam will be promptly reported and deleted. For more information on R#09's moderation policies, please check the FAQs.