9.05.2008

Drew Struzan retiring?

First Don LaFontaine passes away, and now Drew Struzan, the greatest movie poster artist of all time, is retiring. The face of film advertisement is changing. Here's Struzan's announcement, courtesy of Raider.net:
Having been working at not working has produced a guy who could never return to illustration again. It took a lot to attempt the idea of retiring from my 40 years of effort and sacrifice but now that I have, I am delighting in life as never before. I had forgotten how to rest, to smell the proverbial roses and to see the future as opportunity. I am grateful and honored to have had the opportunity to do all the work I did. I am well pleased to have been able to give a gift of beauty and peace through my artwork to so many throughout the world. Now I have laid down the burden and have peace and happiness as the reward for my day's labor.
I'm happy Struzan is content with his life's work and his decision to call it quits. But I'm also deeply saddened to know that I won't be seeing his work in the mainstream anymore. He's created some of my favorite film posters of all time, and he's arguably the best and most reliable in the business. Head to his site to find out just how many of your favorite movies Struzan has illustrated the posters for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are strictly moderated by this blog's administrator. Obscene, hateful, or otherwise offensive comments will not be tolerated. Racist, sexist, or homophobic remarks have no place on this blog. Spam will be promptly reported and deleted. For more information on R#09's moderation policies, please check the FAQs.